EliteLeague is expanding to cover other Play Sites. Beginning this year we are having Pogo Games added to our Leagues. Pogo Leagues will be completely separate from Yahoo! Leagues, however the same Members/Players base will be used, so a Player can join any League in all Play Sites using the same Elite name.
With such expansion, we will be facing the problem of different names used in different Play Sites, either because of names been taken or the because of the limitation on the length of names allowed or because of the non-allowance to use certain characters in the name.
In order to keep ONE Elite ID for each Member in all Elite Leagues; we have 4 options:
A. IMPOSE SAME NAME
To insist that all Members should have the same Elite Name used in all Sites. This is almost impossible for some players; they will never be able to get the same present Yahoo! name in other Play Sites. The only solution in this case is to try to get a name accepted in all sites then create a new Elite ID to match this name.
This is a big hassle of course, and all members will either lose stats, or we will have to allow name changes; which is another hassle.
The hassle will never end, as we will face it with every new Member trying to join another Play Site in the future.
B. USE ALIASES
To have a SINGLE Elite ID with an alias for each Play Site, this option will:
- Involve a lot of system changes.
- Increase the database size, at least to include the Main Elite ID and the Aliases in every Play site.
- Complicate the coding, as the program should be tailored to recognize the Play Site and link it to the proper Alias.
- Slow the processing of pages, at least one step will be added to every page.
- Confuse TDs and Players during tourneys, and when looking for a certain ID or Alias in Elite logs or reports; as aliases will not be easily recognized or linked with the main ID.
C. KEEP PLAY SITES SEPARATE
Consider that we will have Different Players base in every Play Site, so whoever can get the same name in all Sites, good for him/her, if not s/he will be considered a new Member, and will have 2 or more IDs; one for each Play Site. Of course we will not purge him/her for multiple ID, but will not be able to combine stats, YEPs, or Premium Membership.