All you ever wanted to know about Making Tables
This is a topic that rears its ugly head with regularity. Some leagues don't care about it at all, some do. Some players couldn't care less who makes a table and others swear that its the color of the seat that brings them luck. And of course, there are some players who won't make a table if their life depends on it.
Our new rules director, tenor12bucks, was asked to update the Help Topic so hopefully this should clarify the issue for everyone. This rule applies to all leagues.
Help Topic Highlights
- Any player may make the table; higher seed has the right to select seats.
- Higher seed has the right to refuse an invite and make his/her table in a timely manner, and select the seat first.
- Higher seed refusing or not responding to invitation, or not making table in a timely manner, will be placed on timer, and forfeits their right to make the table or select seats for that round.
- Higher seed not in lobby when table was made forfeits rights to make table and select seats.
- Tables must be made before a timer is requested. In the case that neither team makes table, TD may put both teams on timer, warn both teams/players of imminent disqualification based on the intentional delay rule.
- Note that certain, specific tourney formats with special rules may be exempt from this. Please look to the league HAs for direction regarding these isolated instances.
If you make a table well ahead of time while waiting for your opponent to complete a round, please watch for the pairings to be updated - it is very easy to become distracted and forget to invite the next opponent while everyone hangs out waiting... The bottom line folks: keep the tourney moving - and you can't do that if you aren't seated and actively playing at a table.
If you are a new player and unfamiliar with the table settings - feel free to ask your opponent to make the table or have the TD check that the table is made correctly.
For more detailed information on Making Tables